The city of Churu was founded in 1620 by a Cat chieftain Churu. Churu was ruled by Thakur Maldeo, the grandson of Rao Kandhal and uncle of Rao Bika, the Rathore Rajputs of Bikaner. The town went through periods of being ruined and being wealthy before the Marwari merchants started to make a lot of money in the 19th century during British India in various business centers and decided to raise the palatial houses for their families in Churu. The maze of imposing buildings built in exclusive Shekhawati architecture and covered with wall paintings have remained largely unexplored. The town was revived as the trade flourished and thus came up the most impressive painted havelis in the whole of Rajasthan.