Mantri Chhatri, built over a seth of the Mantri family in 1871, There are paintings on the basement walls and also in the dome, the latter mostly incarnation of Vishnu. North of this chhatri is one built to a member of the Bagla family and dated 1853. To the north-west of this is a handsome well In a ruinous state set back form the road. The road leading north reaches a johara and the ‘gaoshala’ after about 1 km, then continues to recent holy place known as Nathji.
Jayadayal Khemka Haveli. At the south end of Mantri Marg, this haveli has some good paintings on its outer walls, it also has a painted room. The building dates form around 1870. Neighboring it to the north is fine Mantri Haveli, c1850, which has two painted rooms, that over the main door being painted about 1895. Several other buildings in this road are worth a look.
The fort. Founded in 1739, the fort is now in poor condition with the footings of the walls in a bad state of decay. The building is threatened with demolition. It withstood a long siege during 1813 by the Raja of Bikaner, Surat Singh, but was finally forced to ammunition; the ladies gave up their silver and gold ornaments to be turned into musket balls. When the fort finally fell the Thakur, Sheo Singh, poisoned himself- or, as they say in Churu, he swallowed a diamond and died. The buildings within the fort are not of great interest and include a clinic, the jail and a temple.
Poddar Haveli. An impressive haveli with a remarkable fine carved beam in the porch. The family acquired the land in 1827 and probably built the haveli soon after, although the murals in the forecourt date form around 1860.
‘Nagar Shree’, above a shop on the north side of the bazaar. Here are collected paintings, photographs, sculpture and literature relating to the district, including many documents on the merchant community. The organization publishes its own magazine ‘Maru Shree’ with information o monuments, documents or historic events relating to he district.
Jain Temple and well. Built in 1935 it contains paintings decorated with gold by jaipur painters.
Lohia Temple dedicated to Sita-Ram and built around 1890, it has some good murals on the facade and in the courtyard.
Dharamshala and Temple build by Bhagwan Das Bagla. This is just beyond the area of the map, perhaps a little over 100m west of the crossroads knows as Subhash Chowk on the south side of the road. The dharamsahala has now become a school and has murals of average quality. The complex was built in the early 1890s.
Sethani ka johara ( ‘the reservoir of the lady seth’) lies on the north side of the road perhaps 5km west of churu along the Ratangarh road. It is perhaps the finest johara in the area in that it is not only attractive but also efficient, holding a store of water often from one monsoon to the next. It was built in 1898 by the widow of Bhagwan Das Bagla as part of the famine relief projects that the merchants financed in those terrible years of the close of the century. A peaceful place, which attacts a few water birds in winter.